The first phase of the project was to create a school and community garden, which was completed on May 26th, 2011. The expansive amount of land has many opportunities to serve community members and has historically been left barren.
The garden provides garden plots for community members, plots for curriculum-based learning for the students, and any harvest surplus allows for fresh produce at either community events or through donations to the local food pantries.
Our major objectives were to
- Secure grant from Fiskars Inc. for school/community playground.
- Recruit volunteers for community build garden.
- Finalize garden layout with Fiskars garden design staff.
- Announce garden plot availability to community members.
- Plan for ribbon cutting ceremony.
- Work with city department on parking and delivery times.
All funding was secured through the Fiskars grant.